Sunday, July 1, 2012

It's Still Life: Chapter 5


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File, Techniques & Tools, and Master Class were the first three projects posted and links to all these posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The fourth project, It's Still Life, continues now...


Participants were asked to photograph a still life that you create using an array of objects.
------------------------------------------
Marit Barentsen
"A stone - to keep me earthly with my feet on the ground. Shells from my hometown/beach - to remember where I came from. A feather - to remind me that I can fly. A candle - to keep the fire alive. My diary/poem book from 1983 and my fave pen - I couldn't live without my 'books' and a pen."

Lise Hoffman
"This is a little collection of my home made vinegar! While I did not do the tags, I did make the vinegar inside the bottle. I love cooking. This is my second passion. I love all good things in life; eating is one of them. I cook everything especially when it is original or unknown."

Crystal Neubauer
"I love photographing objects. It was hard to narrow it down from the collection I have, but in the end, the picture of the chick is one of my all time favorites."

Arabella Grayson
"Box of Hearts"

Marcia Beckett
"The image is a collection of small things leftover from my Grandpa's house. He was a flea market dealer and tended to hoard collectibles (or anything he thought might be collectible). My brothers, my Dad and I sold 1,000's of items on Ebay after he passed away and then had an estate sale for the remaining items. It seems that these random things keep popping up that we forgot we had."

Keron Lee (aka The Colour Guru)
"I found this picture totally captivating as a statement of social & technological revolution that has taken place during my lifetime - it's out 4 year old grand daughter's bedside table in her room at our home. Along with the typical 'pretties' one would expect, you will find her PDA - mobile phone - credit card (all old ones not working) - at the ready - with her dummy (pacifier)  & iPod docking station."

Annie Kerr
"Here's a still life showing some of the tools I return to every day."

Barbara Kleinhans
"A collection of 1920's light switch plates I found in the barn at my family's farm."

Bleubeard and Elizabeth
"Since my obsession is rocking horses, I have included a photo of just a few of them."

Maude May
"'Clap for Sun' - I've collected hands for years - they reside on my studio windowsills and applaud as the sun (when we have it in Seattle) sinks behind the Olympics."

Liz Hampton-Derivan
"Still life with china and portrait."
------------------------------------------

Next "It's Still Life" will be held on Sunday, July 8th.

9 comments:

elle said...

I find this series particularly thought provoking. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Great collections!! Very nice, indeed!!

Patti Sandham said...

What an awesome idea Seth! Iam inspired to do my own for using in my journals and if you do another one I will definitely participate. Coolio

Jo Murray said...

Such a variety of techniques and skills... good reading. Thanks Seth.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome high spirited collection of still life images. They are loud and beautiful, not that still (-:

Lisa H said...

Love the "hands" looking out the studio window, so love the setting as well.

My last sketching teacher could have used a lesson in HOW TO CREATE AN INSPIRING STILL LIFE. I'll send her over!

Jill Zaheer said...

Wonderful display of great still lifes! Love Marit's words as well.

Susan Tuttle said...

You are the best Seth -- you have a most incredible gift for bringing creative types together in a mode that spreads good energy, heals, invites others to join in, connect, explore their creativity, and in turn reach out to the community themselves. Seth you ROCK!

india flint said...

i ave been enjoying a lovely wander through these pages